Marie-France is synonymous with Supreme Court of Canada agent. Her experience clerking for Justice LaForest, law degrees from Oxford and Berkeley, and involvement in many recent significant SCC decisions has made her a go-to lawyer.
University of California at Berkeley, J.S.D., 1994
University of Oxford, B.C.L., 1987
University of Ottawa, LL.B., 1986
University of Ottawa, B.Sc.Soc., 1983
Marie-France Major is a partner in the firm. She drafts materials and provides advice and agency services to clients regarding applications, responses, factums and motions for appeals before the Supreme Court of Canada. Marie-France draws on her Doctor of Juridical Science from the University of California at Berkeley and years of experience as a professor of law to provide legal opinions in the areas of Charter, constitutional, human rights, aboriginal, property, municipal and family law. Marie-France is fluent in English and French. In 1989 and 1990, she articled with Mr. Justice G.V. LaForest at the Supreme Court of Canada.
As SCC Agent:
- TELUS Communications Inc. v. Wellman, 2019 SCC 19 – Civil procedure, class actions
- Orphan Well Association v. Grant Thornton Ltd. 2019 SCC 5 – Constitutional law, division of powers
- Groia v. Law Society of Upper Canada, 2018 SCC 27 – Administrative law, law of professions
- R. v. Comeau, 2018 SCC 15 – Constitutional law, interprovincial trade
- R. v. Durham Regional Crime Stoppers, 2017 SCC 45 – Criminal law, informer privilege
- Associate Professor (tenured), Faculty of Law; member of the School of Graduate Studies and Research, University of Ottawa, 1995-2001.
- Law Lecturer, Property Law, Course for Lawyers in the Department of Justice of Canada, 1999-2000.
- Assistant Professor, School of Law, University of Moncton, New Brunswick, 1987-1989.
- “Getting In, Getting Heard, Getting Practical: Intervening in Appellate Courts Across Canada” Advocates Quarterly (2017) 46 Advocates’ Q 3, Co-author
- The Law of Criminal Attempt (Carswell, 3rd ed., 2015), Co-author
- Bullen & Leake & Jacob’s Canadian Precedents of Pleadings (Carswell, 2nd ed., 2013), Co-author
- Supreme Court of Canada Manual (Canada Law Book, 2011), Co-author
- “Going to the ‘Big House’: Your Key Out of the Supreme Court’s Waiting Room” (2010) CBA Canadian Legal Conference